Conservation Areas

Choosing to live in a house that is in a Conservation Area, means that you and your neighbours are agreeing to follow rigid regulations, laid down by the Local Authorities, to ensure that the character of the street scene and its environment, remain harmonious and in keeping. The properties in Conservation Areas, are normally higher in value than nearby housing, that are not given this special status.

Conservation Areas, are areas of special architectural or historic interest, that has been recognised by the Council, for their inherent quality and special character. This often extends beyond the buildings alone. The street layout, street scene, trees and green spaces, can all contribute to the quality of the environment.

Designation, gives special protection to this character and to achieve this, the Council has extra controls over demolition, minor developments, the protection of trees and control of advertisements.

Certain building works do not require Planning Permission, if using Permitted Development Rights. However, if your home is in a Conservation Area, the Council can introduce extra controls to manage or remove Permitted Development Rights. You need to check with your Local Authority policy adopted for your Conservation Area, which may involve extra controls by the Council as they consider appropriate, or you may need to follow, what is called Article 4 (2) Directions and apply for Planning Permission, for something which would otherwise have normally been allowed under Permitted Development, outside a designated Conservation Area.

Article 4 (2) Directions are to control the following:

  • Changing or replacing windows.
  • Changing or replacing doors or doorways.
  • Building a porch.
  • Changing the shape or pitch of roof slope or its materials.
  • Installing skylights or dormer windows.
  • Installing a satellite dish, aerial or antenna.
  • Installing, changing, or removing a chimney.
  • Changing stonework, brickwork, or external woodwork.
  • Painting or rendering an unpainted surface, such as a wall.
  • Changing a colour scheme.
  • Laying a patio or driveway.
  • Building, changing or removing a fence, gate, wall, or other boundary.
  • Building an extension.
  • Building or changing an outhouse.
  • Building or changing a swimming pool.
  • Demolishing a building.
  • Installing green energy installations, such as solar panels.

Article 4 (2) Directions, can remove different Permitted Development rights, in different Conservation Areas and therefore you will need to check with your Local Council, the items covered for your Designated Conservation Area.

Planning permission will normally be granted, as long as the proposed building works, will not damage the quality or special character of the Conservation Area.

Copyright of Kelvin Francis Ltd. May not be reproduced, without consent

Conservation Areas